This astounding 140-sq. ft. “Battle of Hoth” diorama utilizes utlra-realistic-looking smoke and explosion effects created by Zipidi Doodah and invented by Roberto Williams. (Photo: Zipidi Doodah)
If you’ve ever tried to build an indoor 1:6 scale battlefield diorama for your GIjOEs, then you know how difficult it can be to create realistic flame, smoke or explosion effects. It’s a truly vexing visual problem, one that’s long stumped even the most creative GIjOE fans.
Where there’s fire, there’s also SMOKE. And this stunningly realistic smoke effect would look perfect in any 1:6 scale battlefield diorama. (Photo: Zipidi Doodah)
Some of us have made flame “plumes” out of sticky, spray foam insulation (a fairly good solution). Others have plumped up wrinkled paper mache´ or cotton balls painted with assorted colors (a so-so solution). And still others have tried to mix blinking colored Christmas tree lights with painted or photographic backgrounds (expensive and unconvincing). But thanks to a couple of talented Star Wars fans, there’s now an easy, vastly superior and highly realistic solution to this problem—and you can do it!
You’ll need little to NO artistic talent, and the material costs required are minimal. According to Zipidi Doodah, who also goes by the name, “Barry,” the original credit for this concept should go to its creator, Roberto Williams (Thank you both, Roberto and Barry!).
If you decide to utilize any of these great effects in your next GIjOE diorama, please send some photos of your work to us here at The Joe Report, so we can add them to this article and share them with the world. Here’s Barry’s instructional video. Enjoy, and FLAME-ON!
Update No. 1: Barry recently provided some additional intel on how to create those amazing smoke effects. Perhaps if we ask him nicely, he’ll make a video about that too! Here’s his procedure:
“The smoke columns are made from using a material called Polyester Fiberfill (loose and in sheet form). I cut a long piece of the sheet and connect it to a fishing line that runs from the vehicle to the ceiling. Then, I attach the loose material to the sheet, with lots of glue, and lightly paint black, and attach a clamp to the screw in the ceiling.”